HeavyReader's Reviews > Here's to You, Rachel Robinson

Here's to You, Rachel Robinson by Judy Blume

Jan 03, 09

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in January, 2009

Judy Blume must have written this book after I quit reading young adult fiction, because I had never heard of it until I started looking for books to read for this "challenge" I am participating in.

In many Judy Blume books, there seems to be some physical condition that is an obstacle. In this one, the main character is not the one with the physical condition, it's the older sister, and she has cystic acne.

Don't worry, the protagonist has plenty of problems of her own. She is an overachieving child prodigy who worries incessantly and grinds her teeth. The big family problem is her older brother, a mean 15 year old with a bad attitude.

Are all of Judy Blume's characters so poorly developed? These characters are like paper dolls...cardboard and flat! I do not care about these people and probably won't remember them by the end of the week.

Also, this book is written to the Judy Blume formula, which may have thrilled me in 1981, but now it's just boring.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here's to You, Rachel Robinson.