Sarah's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

F 50x66
Sep 18, 2012

liked it

How to sum it up? It is a lovely book by a Canadian author which by default earns it points! I love the lifestyle she describes, being a stay at home, home-schooling mom of six to a farmer's wife. I love that just in that description this is a person who is not afraid to do her fair share of the world's work. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of living in constant gratitude, because saying other wise would make me awful!LOL! No, I love the idea, that while not revolutionary at all, is profound, and God uses many vehicles in His world to deliver this message in ways that a listener's ears can hear it. I respect this author, and I love her emphasis in the second chapter on the Eucharist. I found the second chapter really is the crux of the entire book and the other chapters are slightly redundant. Eucharist is not only a sacrament but a mindset of seeing God in all things, people, and thereby expressing true and heartfelt gratitude. YES! AMEN. So my criticism- the writing style. It borders on b-poetic and hyper dramatic. Being an avid lover of poetry I find it difficult to say this is a criticism, but even a good thing can be overdone and sometimes simpler is better. So while I love and adore the message, the reading can be tedious and redundant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.