bookczuk's Reviews > Floating in My Mother's Palm

Floating in My Mother's Palm by Ursula Hegi

Jan 03, 09

bookshelves: bookcrossing

If you have ever read Stones From the River or any of Hegi's subsequent novels, you'll enjoy this early story that takes place in Burgdorf, and involves a number of familiar characters.

Most interesting to me was the note I found tucked inside it, addressed as follows:
Miss Martha Hart Rhodes
soon to be Mrs Bert Glenn Utsey III
or Mrs Martha Utsey (Mrs Bert))

The note inside (yes, I did read it, nosey nelson that I am) said:
Dear Martha,
I just wanted to thank you for being such a marvelous friend. Your help with the party was truly my saving grace. I was feeling so poorly last week and I wouldn't have been able to get everything done without you.

You will be a great mother to the Utsey children. I suggest that you require them to have lemonade stands. It will keep them out of the house and you can use their earnings for your Manilo's. What will you do about the white furniture though?
Fondly,
N

I did try and find an Utsey in the phone book but was unsuccessful. (I was up in Rabun County, Georgia, which is where I bought the book last spring-- in a wonderful Used book store , now out of business.) There were a plethora of Rhodes, though, too many to track down Martha Utsey nee Rhodes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Floating in My Mother's Palm.