Reshma's Reviews > The Zahir

The Zahir by Paulo Coelho

Jan 21, 09

Read in December, 2008

I have to say, at times I found myself obsessed with this book about obsession. At times, it didn't quite flow or seemed to bring in random points, but I felt like I just "got it" and completely understood where he was coming from. Coelho's words resonated deeply within me, and in fact, helped me to "see" and unlock some feelings that I haven't been able to understand for quite some time. In that sense, it was like an Eat, Pray, Love for me. Not to compare authors, literary styles, or anything like that - I'm only making the comparison in terms of what both books evoked in me. So for those of who you weren't such fans of Ms. Gilbert's book, don't let that dissuade you from reading this one.

A few quotes from the Zahir that I particularly liked were:

"...I came to realize that I was always looking for myself in the women I loved."

"...I had convinced myself that I could only be happy with her, not because I loved her more than anything and anyone in the world, but because I thought only she could understand me; she knew my likes, my eccentricities, my way of seeing the world.......I was used to seeing the world through her eyes."

"...suffering occurs when we want other people to love us in the way we imagine we want to be loved, and not in the way that love should manifest itself - free and untrammeled, guiding us with its force and driving us on."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zahir.