bookczuk's Reviews > The Revolution of Little Girls

The Revolution of Little Girls by Blanche McCrary Boyd

EArly on I was captivated by two sentences:

"At camp you had to wear shoes, and what was the point of summer if youhad to wear shoes?"

and then ... "Fall was a tingle in the skin, a coolness in the lungs, a football tossed around the front yard."

But as the book progressed, I just felt bad. I just had a hard time getting into this after the first reading session I had. I think I'm just not into feminist angst right now. :)

Here is what the publisher had to say about the book"

No matter how hard she tries, Ellen Burns will never be Scarlett O'Hara. As a little girl in South Carolina, she prefers playing Tarzan to playing Jane. As a teenage beauty queen she spikes her Cokes with spirits of ammonia and baffles her elders with her Freedom Riding sympathies. As a young woman in the 1960s and '70s, she hypnotizes her way to Harvard, finds herself as a lesbian, then very nearly loses herself to booze and shamans. And though the wry, rebellious, and vision-haunted heroine of this exhilarating novel may sometimes seem to be living a magnolia-scented Portrait of the Artist as a Young Woman, Blanche McCrary Boyd's The Revolution Of Little Girls is a completely original arid captivating work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Revolution of Little Girls.