bookczuk's Reviews > The Law of Love

The Law of Love by Laura Esquivel

Jan 03, 2009

bookshelves: bookcrossing, fantasy, home-library, time-travel-reincarnation-etc

I must say that this really was unlike anything else I have ever read, but more because of the multimedia opportunities: straight-forward science fiction (ha!) graphic novel, poetry, arias and even an accompanying CD. Whoa!

A romance that covers a span of 14,000 past lives and a time period from Montezuma to the 23rd century-- and does it all in a plausible, manner. I'd just re-read Like Water For Chocolate and while on one hand the two novels seem so different, there is a similar touch of romance and whimsy the two share. Magical realism vs science fiction-- you be the judge.

Anyhow, once I got into the rhythm of things and was able to keep the characters straight, I really enjoyed this.

From the Publisher
The greatly anticipated new work from the author of the international bestseller Like Water for Chocolate tells a cosmic love story, a Mexican "Midsummer Night's Dream" that stretches from the fall of Montezuma's Mexico to the 23rd century. By including the music that so perfectly accompanies the story, this audio weaves and enchanting and enveloping spell that will absorb listeners in ways no novel ever has before.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Law of Love.