Luisa Fer's Reviews > Broken Harbour

Broken Harbour by Tana French

Sep 18, 12

One doesn't read Tana French for her plots. In the thriller genre, or what is more, in the European thriller one has to be aware that there are no super hero detectives. There are no know-it-all's. There are flawed, human, tortured, not-necessarily alcoholic, human beings.
I thank Tana French for this.

One doesn't read Tana French for her perfect resolutions which is why In the Woods seems to me a masterpìece and many American readers hated it. Sometimes a case is simply not solved like in a CSI episode.

One does read Tana French for the atmosphere in her books, or what we call 'setting'. Setting is underrated, an entire novel can be built upon the right atmosphere, the right climate, the right light. The position of the door, the balcony, if there is a beach or not, if it's there or if can you can only hear it.

Even if the plot is not plausible, the setting can rescue the entire thing. Even if the conflict, or the case itself has been told a thousand times before, even if nothing happens (which is not the case in this book, I'm thinking of another author that I love), if, as a reader, you can walk through the place and be there for the lenght of the story, there is no way you won't enjoy the book.

Tana French's sense of humor is impossible to emulate, her detectives will make you laugh, the dialog is like watching a movie, you can "hear" it.

Ireland, a country that rarely crossed my mind, has been my favorite country for quite a while: from In the Woods, The Likeness and A Faithful Place, Broken Harbour did not impress me plotwise, but I continue to regard Tana as my favorite mystery/thriller writer.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Harbour.