Leftbanker's Reviews > Chicken Soup for the Soul

Chicken Soup for the Soul by Jack Canfield

The Goodreads blurb for this book describes the authors as, “Two of America's best-loved inspirational speakers.” Other famous inspirational speakers: Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Dale Carnegie, Jim Jones, Tony Robbins, Richard Simmons, and Reverend Lovejoy from the Simpsons, to name only a few. Not very good company to keep. Let's just consider that word for a moment. Inspire: to influence, move, or guide by divine or supernatural. Do you really want to be guided or influenced by these two hucksters? Life doesn't come with instructions; so why do so many people look for them in this sort of childish pabulum? There are no easy answers. You just have to take bits and pieces of the wisdom handed down to us through the centuries and cobble some meaning together on your own. I have news for you: none of this wisdom is to be found in the self-help aisle at Barnes and Nobles, and there is certainly none to be found in this collection of fortune cookie aphorisms.

Instead of wasting your time with this garbage, read something that will give you some true understanding of human existence. I'll bet that most people who rated this five stars don't believe in evolution. Evolution is one of the most illuminating ideas in all of human history, but these people would rather ignore science and take refuge in religion, superstition, and this sort of “uplifting” silliness. Stephen J. Gold was asked if he had learned anything or if his thinking was altered because he had been diagnosed with cancer. He told the interviewer that his intellectual foundation would have been pretty weak if something as minor as his own illness could have rocked him off of it. If this sort of trash is your intellectual foundation, you are making a house of (greeting) cards.

Before you let me have it because I think this book is trash look at your own ratings. I'm sure that there are books that you hate that other people treasure. I don't care if you don't like a book I may think is excellent. The whole idea of this site is for readers to voice their opinions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chicken Soup for the Soul.

message 1: by John (new)

John chicken is good :)

message 2: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito Wow, this book really made you angry, it seems. It might be for the best that you used the internet to deliver your review.

message 3: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Costello I can smell anger in this review. Most bias.

Leftbanker Megan wrote: "I can smell anger in this review. Most bias." A biased review? How dare I? What was I thinking having an opinion? And what the hell is wrong with anger? It beats the hell out of a passive-aggressive response.

message 5: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito Leftbanker wrote: "Megan wrote: "I can smell anger in this review. Most bias." A biased review? How dare I? What was I thinking having an opinion? And what the hell is wrong with anger? It beats the hell out of a pas..."

My first reaction was to agree; but then I put "biased" in context of what your review actually said and how much of that was or wasn't directly relevant to the book, and "biased" started to make more sense.

Leftbanker Don Incognito wrote: "Leftbanker wrote: "Megan wrote: "I can smell anger in this review. Most bias." A biased review? How dare I? What was I thinking having an opinion? And what the hell is wrong with anger? It beats th..." Your average rating is WELL below mine so you don't like a lot of books. So I don't understand why some people get so offended when someone doesn't like their favorite-est book in the whole world.

message 7: by Don Incognito (last edited Dec 14, 2012 02:01PM) (new)

Don Incognito You must mean Megan, because I haven't read this book and never said I did. It's hard to be sure from your review whether you read it either. As for the average rating issue, I think your unspoken point is you're much smarter than I am, which is probably true, if no more relevant to evaluating this book than Hitler or Stalin or Darwinism.

Leftbanker Don Incognito wrote: "You must mean Megan, because I haven't read this book and never said I did. It's hard to be sure from your review whether you read it either. As for the average rating issue, I think your unspoken ..."
I have no fucking idea of what you are trying to say. Hitler, Stalin, Darwin?

message 9: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito Then reread your review.

Leftbanker Don Incognito wrote: "Then reread your review."
In the spirit of "if you can't beat'em, join'em" I have an idea. I've decided that I am going to write my own self-help book along the lines of Chicken Soup for the Soul. Mine will be called Don't Shit where You Eat which will tell of the dangers of defecating in the general area of your kitchen or dining room. It will be in the form of a parable about a lazy beaver (yes, they aren't all go-getters) who always took a dump right in his beaver nest of whatever the hell you call the place where beavers eat and sleep. After a while he lost all of his friends because the place smelled really bad until one day the beaver committed suicide by chewing down a tree on top of himself. This parable will be invaluable to nitwits looking for easy answers to life's unanswerable questions.

Carlos This book really got you mad, you appear to be an angry man, hope those feelings had improved by now. Hey, I believe in evolution and I liked the book. So what? jaja

Leftbanker Sí, Carlos, soy un asesino en serie y la culpa de todas mis barbaridades es este libro insípido. Lo siento que me burlé de tu obra favorita en toda la literatura jaja (hecho en la voz de Nelson de Los Simpson).

message 13: by Soaraway (new) - added it

Soaraway What does evolution have to do with anything?! I don't like this book and I don't believe in evolution. It's just a theory. Lots of theories in science have been disproven.... And evolution is not one of the strongest theories ever. But what the heck does that have to do with a book on positive thinking?!

Leftbanker I suggest that you put a few science books on your “to read” list.

message 15: by Soaraway (new) - added it

Soaraway I think you will find there are quite a few science books on my "to read" and my "already read" list.

message 16: by Straticus (new)

Straticus Soaraway wrote: "What does evolution have to do with anything?! I don't like this book and I don't believe in evolution. It's just a theory. Lots of theories in science have been disproven.... And evolution is not ..."

Evolution has been proven. It happens all the time. You must have absolutely zero knowledge on Biology.

message 17: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Flower Soaraway wrote: "What does evolution have to do with anything?! I don't like this book and I don't believe in evolution. It's just a theory. Lots of theories in science have been disproven.... And evolution is not ..."

Actually it is one of the strongest theories ever.