Amy's Reviews > Through a Glass Darkly

Jan 02, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in June, 2008

I picked this book up in the historical fiction section thinking this would be a great find. It was more of a complex one. Which is good, don't get me wrong but this novel was hard to get through. Koen does an excellent job of not giving the reader what they want (a problem I often have with the writers of these novels) but she just couldn't keep me captivated. It took me nearly six months of this book sitting near my bed to really finish it. Which for me, is a long time. I agree with other readers that she over-saturates the character descriptions and scenery as well. How many times do I need to hear how opulent Devane House is-I get it. Opulency and finery were hand in hand with the time period but she just couldn't cut the cloth quite right for me. It was also hard for me to love Barbara. I couldn't stand her actually. Maybe we're not supposed to like her, and it will always bother me about this book. Maybe I will give it another try sometime.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through a Glass Darkly.