Tiffany Thordal's Reviews > Libriomancer

Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines

Sep 22, 12

Read from September 17 to 18, 2012

Where to start with this book ... WOW!
Alright so let me explain what a Libriomancer is before I continue. One of the girls I work with didn't know. A Libriomancer is the type of "magician" who can use books as weapons. All he/she has to do is read the book, imagine the thing they need from the book, and pull it from the book. All caught up now? Okay.

The book starts with a young Libriomancer who has been pulled out of the field for a mistake. He has been reassigned to work at a library cataloguing books by their magical usefulness. He has a kickass spider named Smudge. (I normally hate spiders but trust me you will love this one.) After an attack where a girl named Lena Greenwood saves his ass, Isaac (Libriomancer) unofficially puts himself back in the field. He finds out there is basically this huge magical conspiracy going on and it looks like him and Lena will have to clean it up. A whole bunch of really cool stuff that I won't even attempt to explain, happens and Isaac finds himself needing to save Johannes Gutenberg! This is honestly a pathetic description so read the book.

The ENDING to this book. Oh my God.. I can't even begin to describe how I felt. I loved it of course, but it was one of those WHAT!? moments because I didn't think it was going to happen.

Jim C. Hines is a brilliant author because he did what my favorite authors do; combine past with present, fact with fiction, blur the lines of reality. He does it extremely well also which made me even happier. It did not feel forced at ALL!

My favorite character in this book? Lena Greenwood... I feel like I could honestly be her. Consider me for her role when Libriomancer gets optioned for film? Haha Just kidding. Also, this chick doesn't take shit from anyone.. which I love. Who doesn't love that? It is hot.

I can't wait for the next book in the series!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Libriomancer.

09/17/2012 page 24