Jacqueline's Reviews > Not Proper Enough

Not Proper Enough by Carolyn Jewel

Sep 17, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: widow-widower, wrapped-around-heroine-s-little-fin, regency, owned, historical-romance, angsty
Read from January 31 to February 01, 2013 — I own a copy

I liked parts of this really well, others not so much. The story mostly concerned the hero and heroine's relationship. There was very little in the way of action in the plot. Most scenes were them talking and/or having sex. I wanted to know a more solid timeline of their past history. How old was he when he was treating her badly when they were young? How many years had it been since then? How many years was she married before her husband died? etc.

I thought there was a little too much sex and not enough conversation. I really didn't like the whole thing with the heroine wandering around London on foot at night alone with only a maid. I just don't think it would have happened. I would have accepted it better in the country but ladies living in London at the time would have been more aware of the dangers they lived with than that.

I liked hero's angstiness. I loved how he kept offering the heroine his heart and everything he had. I didn't like how she was so wrapped up in her dead husband. She never really stopped to think of what she was feeling now.

I thought the hero's rationale for treating the heroine poorly years ago was weak. (view spoiler) I also wondered why it took him 4 years after her husband died to make a move on her.

I really enjoyed the hero most of all and he saved the book for me.

I like this author on the whole and enjoy her books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Proper Enough.