Kristen Scelonge's Reviews > Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.

Sep 18, 12

Grade level/interest level: Primary (1st-3rd grade)
Reading Level: Lexile level, 440 LAD
Genre: Modern Fantasy/Science Fiction

Main characters: the animals and teacher in the story
Setting:where the animals are and a classroom
POV: story is told by a narrator

This book repeatedly asks children who are being read the story the simple question of "What do you see?" In doing so the children are more closely examining each page, learning colors, animals, and how words rhyme. Each rhyme leads effortlessly to the next one and on each page children know what to expect in terms of the words that will be said. The use of a simple repetitive language actually intrigues children who love to rhyme and to repeat the new words they learn. The words “What”, “do”, “you”, and “see” are all sight words that can be added to a "Sight Word Wall" and this book helps the students learn these words in a manner that is both fun and educational. The illustrations in this story are also captivating. They allow students to learn various colors and expand upon types of media that can be used when creating art work. These illustrations almost look they were made with tissue paper.

I would incorporate this book into my classroom and other Eric Carle books during read- aloud’s and as the children became familiar with the book I would give them the opportunity to read this book independently or with a partner. I would use this book with a whole group to create discussions about the animals, colors, and sight words used in this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?.