Kris's Reviews > Daily Living in the Twelfth Century

Daily Living in the Twelfth Century by Urban T. Holmes Jr.

Jan 02, 09

I own a copy

I enjoy historical journals, and so this was a treat for me. While much of the "fleshing out" was done by the author, the rationale for how he made his decisions seemed sound, and added the sort of details than are so often lacking in the more sweeping academic texts that run the accounts of lives of kings and nobles, and deal with treaties and land- and heiress-swaps. Alternately, this book touched on a variety of the everyday sorts of things a person living in the times would have known/experienced, and that sort of breadth is impossible to find in the books that hone in on a specific topic.

It was a bit dense of a read, with a self-conscious, at times almost professiorial tone, and it's not the sort of book to pick up and skim through, looking for factoids (although the index is useful.) It may be less useful for straight-up, fact-checking research, and better for immersing yourself in when you're in the mood.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daily Living in the Twelfth Century.