Kerry's Reviews > The Problem of Pain

319406
Sep 17, 12

bookshelves: books-i-didn-t-like
Read in May, 2011

Reading this now for the third time, still trying to make sense of the tortuous prose and flawed logic. This adds nothing useful to one of the more interesting debates in Christianity - why a supposdly loving omnipotent god allows such suffering in good people. It barely relates anything factual and when it claims too, they are often inaccurate. His explanation of the Marxist view of poverty, shows he has either never read Marx, or not understood him! It really is a medieval reading of Christianity in many ways. He starts by telling us that it is ridiculous for us to attempt to understand God's motives and that we should not assume that His conception of good or suffering bares any similarity to our own. In other words, God works in mysterious ways and we should not dare to try and understand Him. He then contradicts this many times in the rest of the book, by explaining to us exactly what God is doing. His pseudo- biological explanation on the fall of man owes a lot more to eugenics than to evolution and is nothing more than bizarre speculation. He himself describes it as "myth" but then uses it to support his thesis as if it were fact! In the end it was all too silly. For a Christian who is prepared to totally accept his pronouncements at face value it may have some interest. To anybody else, it is convoluted sophistry which adds nothing sensible to the topic.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Problem of Pain.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maynard Ferguson For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. (1 Corinthians 1:18 KJV)

Kerry And the graves were opened: and many bodies of the saints which slept arose. And came out of the graves after his resurrection and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
March of the zombies: Matthew 27: 50-53

Ayame Sohma Wow, Maynard. You really have been brain-drowned, haven't you?