Kelsey's Reviews > Dry

Dry by Augusten Burroughs

Aug 07, 07

Read in August, 2007

"You were spectacular," Hayden tells me afterwards.
"How so?"
"You were so honest and substantive. Just no bullshit," he says, slapping me on the back.
"Really? I seemed normal?" I ask.
"Of course. You were great."
"What a relief. I had no idea what I was saying. I was actually thinking about how my chest hair is growing back after having shaved it all off."
Hayden turns sharply, "What?"
"Well, I thought maybe of bleaching it for the summer. But then I thought how awful it would be to have roots. Chest hair roots. That would be really humiliating. The blond chest hair might look good and natural like I go to the Hamptons on the weekends. but as soon as the roots started to appear, it would be like, 'Oh, that's very sad, he's obviously looking for something and just not finding it.'"
Hayden stares at me with mock horror. Or maybe it's real horror. "You absolutely terrify me. The depth of your shallowness is staggering."

Really, it [the shallowness] was staggering at times. But at least Burroughs wrote about it in an honest, hilarious way. A very fun, open, quick read. Sad too. I liked this more than Running with Scissors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dry.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

emma yay i'm glad you liked it :)

Chelsea I enjoyed reading your

Chelsea I enjoyed reading your review. A lot of people seem to be quite critical of Burrough's work. I think you've given him a great review for this particular book. In some ways I also enjoyed it more than, Running with Scissors.