AGamble's Reviews > Cormac: The Tale of a Dog Gone Missing

Feb 01, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: animals
Read in January, 2009

A good story and a quick read, though it takes a little bit to begin the action. Heartwarming, very honest, while not tear-jerking, emotionally rousing. However, I would caution dog owners to not use electric fences. They don't work, they're expensive, and (most importantly) they've harmful to your dog.

Growing up, I had a Golden Retriever named Maggie. She was, like Cormac, afraid of thunderstorms and, again like Cormac, adept at escaping. Thankfully, we were able to find her every time, and for the majority of her life I was too young or self-absorbed to truly worry about what would happen if she disappeared forever. (I've since learned this lesson; Maggie died when I was sixteen and she was about fourteen. I still pine for her, though I have a dog whom I love very much.) Today, I'm convinced that every dog (or cat, for that matter) should be micro-chipped. People like Ruth Baxter exist, and people are incompetent in every workplace, and not many of us have the time or resources Brewer did to recover our pets when they disappear. The simple, relatively inexpensive procedure of microchipping is well worth the peace of mind it brings. That said, I'm still terrified of my dog, Otis, disappearing one day, and I can only hope my loved ones and community would behave as helpfully as Sonny Brewer's did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cormac.