Antof9's Reviews > The History of Love

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss

Jan 02, 09

bookshelves: 2005-read, about-books, charming, faves, immigrants, mysterious, nyc
Read in June, 2005

I'm charmed by the dedication page. It says:

For My Grandparents,
who taught me the opposite of disappearing

This was a very unique Holocaust survivor story. It's a book-within-a-book, where there is a manuscript sent from Poland to New York via a boyfriend's letters to his girlfriend and a book found in a second-hand bookstore by a young man in love.

This is written from two very unique points of view, sort of in the form of journal entries. One of the speakers is an old gentleman, Leo Gursky. The other is 14-year old Alma Singer.

The writing in this book is just beautiful. Here is an example that charmed me: Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering. I had another spot marked, but my grandmother lost my place when she picked up the book on a recent visit, and after reading the first 30 pages, almost refused to return it to me! Fortunately, I found another copy, which I'll take when I have lunch with her on Sunday :)

I can't say much more about the book as I don't want to give spoilers, but I really liked this. If I didn't have so many other books waiting to be read, I'd re-read it :)

It's a cliche, but some books actually do do this: I laughed, I cried, and my heart was touched.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of Love.

Quotes Antof9 Liked

Nicole Krauss
“Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.”
Nicole Krauss, The History of Love