TonyAlmeida's Reviews > O Terceiro Passo

O Terceiro Passo by Christopher Priest

Jan 27, 09

bookshelves: authors-uk, language-portuguese, fiction, libraries, read-2009, wished
Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

In Portugal the book's title changed as magic. Well, not exactly. It was marketing instead. Initially it was sold under the title "O Prestígio" (The Prestige), just like the original edition of the book. Later, its title was changed to "O Terceiro Passo" (The third step), as in the portuguese title for the movie based on this book.

Now, about the book. I'm a magic lover and the central theme of this book caught my attention. I enjoyed very much the book at the beginning: the mystery, the antagonism and the competition of Borden and Angier, both illusionists, are very interesting. Christopher Priest describes this relation of love-hate in a crescendo that hooks you to the book.

However all of this is completely lost in the last 30-40 pages of the book. It looks like the author did not know what to do with the "monster" he created: the explanation of Borden's illusion, the Tesla's equipment used by Angier and, particularly the visit of Andrew Westley to Kate Angier. It looks like the author abruptly ended without taking good care of these situations, which is a reason why I did not appreciate the end of the book.

Although my opinion on the book, I'm very interested in watching the movie, specially after reading some opinions pointing that the movie is better than the book.

2/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read O Terceiro Passo.

01/12/2009 page 32