Keith's Reviews > Dealing with Dragons

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede

Jul 01, 09

This is the first book of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. My daughter read them when she was at the point where reading changes from being work to being fun. So it was one of the first "serious" books (> 100 pages and no pictures) that she read on her own for pleasure. First my wife read the series aloud to her. Then she read them all to herself. Then she read this book out loud to me.

The story is told from the point of view of Princess Cimorene. She's a curious, intelligent girl who hates the stereotyped role she's expected to play as a princess---she has to learn to needlepoint and dance, but isn't allowed to cook or fence or learn magic. Finally, she runs away and winds up getting captured by a dragon, Kazul. Unlike other captured princesses, who lament their situation and wait to be rescued by young knights they can then marry, Cimorene befriends her dragon and refuses to be rescued. The plot thickens when some oily wizards show up...

The character of Cimorene is engaging. She is spunky and has a sarcastic wit that makes my daughter laugh. I liked her almost from page one and was quickly sucked into the story. The plot has some interesting twists, but there is never a sense of real peril. From the beginning it's pretty clear who's good and who's bad, and that it will all work out in the end. These characteristics all appeal to my (then) 8 year old daughter. She also loves the humor and has adopted a similar style in some of her creative writing projects.

The writing is clearly targeted at younger (pre-teen) readers, but this is a fun story that many older readers will enjoy, too.
24 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dealing with Dragons.

Laura This was the first book I ever read when I was about 3 or 4 before going to kindergarten :D My mom started reading it to me and got a few chapters in before I decided I'd rather read it myself. :D It's cool to know that someone else had the same story about the same book.

message 2: by Sm-dreamer (new) - added it

Sm-dreamer One slight point - Kazul did not capture Cimorene; Cimorene volunteered to be a dragon's princess.