Diayll's Reviews > Carnival of Souls

Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 4 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Audiobook Purchase
Reviewer: Me

Written in multiple points of view, Carnival of Souls began as a hard listen for me. At first, I wasn’t really into the narrator. And anyone who listens to audiobooks knows, despite if a books is awesome or not, a narrator can make or break the story. However, I am thankful I decided to stick with this insanely fun novel! After around chapter five, I got lost in this wicked tale of daimons and witches, good and evil, killers and thieves.

Though Mallory is the supposed focal point of this story, I think the true heart of Carnival of Souls lies with Aya and the other side characters that actually live in The City. Any time we jumped to the human world and to Mallory’s hidden life, I was wishing, hoping, and praying we’d get back to kick-A$$ Aya or the honorable Kaleb. Aya is one touch woman. Born into the privileged ruling class, she is determined not to be thought of as just another child-baring woman. Not only is she fighting in the competition to prove that women should be in control of their own destinies, she’s fighting for the right not to be controlled by a man. She’s willing to do, kill, steal, and trick whoever to ensure she wins. I loved how ruthless she was. Normally we see male characters take on these types of roles but not in this story. This time we get to see a woman be just as coldblooded as any man. It fit her character well and it gave this story its WOW factor.

Kaleb on the other hand, is from the lowest class in The City. He is fighting simply to earn respect from other members of society. His story was complex, deeply saddening, but at the same time strong and endearing. The twists and turns, ups and downs, Marr creates for her characters is almost unbelievable and unbearable. And once you get to the end and experience that MASSIVE jaw-dropping ending, let’s just say your jaw, mouth, face and other limbs will need picking up off the floor. Overall, if you love stories with non-stop action, fighting, strong female leads, risky violence, and heart-breaking storylines, then grab Carnival of Souls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carnival of Souls.