Krista D's Reviews > Kiss of Steel

Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster

Sep 19, 12

Read from September 16 to 18, 2012

3.75/5 stars

Just judging from the cover and all of the blog tours, I expected this book to have more steampunk in it. It was more of a paranormal historical romance with some steampunk elements. For example, there were steam powered machines and a few robots. I wonder if there would have been more steampunk elements if the book had taken place in the upper Echelon instead of the rookeries.

I really enjoyed the paranormal world that Ms. McMaster has developed, especially her take on vampires. Select people are infected with the vampire virus, which gives them a longer life and a thirst for blood. However, as the virus progresses, the color is slowly leached from your body (hair, skin, etc.) until you turn completely white. When the virus completely takes over and you become a mindless, blood thirsty vampire that must be put to death. I already added Will's book to my wishlist. I can't wait to see Ms. McMaster's take on the verwulfen (or werewolves).

One con that I have would be the sex scenes. There were not too many, but after the first one, the sex scenes seemed jumbled together and a little gratuitous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Steel.