Anna's Reviews > Afghanistan

Afghanistan by David Downing

Jan 02, 09

bookshelves: language-and-culture, education-and-teaching, nonfiction, politics, read-in-2009
Recommended to Anna by: a fellow teacher
Read in January, 2009

So on the one hand this book had a wealth of information about Afghanistan... on the other hand, I really had *no idea* what to do with all the information and found this to be a really exhausting read. I have no idea who this text is intended for (the publisher says "middle school" but you have to be nuts to think this is middle school material). My school bought a class set for us to use prior to teaching The Breadwinner, since our students have no background knowledge or context of Afghanistan. The thing is, I don't think this book is a great one to use for teaching kids anything. It's got way too much information that's organized in a way that makes it very confusing. I felt very lost reading this and I am actually interested in this topic! I know that most adults would find this to be a challenging text. There's just so much history and this book tried to do way too much instead of breaking the information into manageable chunks.

Even though ti's only 50 pages, I had to break it up over two days because I felt like I was drowning in information. I'm probably going to have to reread this several times before it starts to make clearer sense. And I know that even though I will be forced to use this book I am definitely just going to pick out bits and pieces.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Afghanistan.