Joanne G.'s Reviews > Peter and the Starcatchers

Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry

Sep 17, 12

bookshelves: bumberjean-branch-library, fantasy
Read in September, 2012

Who knew humorist Dave Barry wrote young adult fiction? He teamed up with Ridley Pearson to write a series based on J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan. Their initial foray into the mythology of Peter Pan introduced the reader to Peter and the Lost Boys; set up the hows and whys of Never Land; and explained the creation or establishment of Tinkerbelle, the crocodile, mermaids, savages, and pirates. I appreciated the thoughtfulness of supplying a background to everything in Never Land, and I found the new inclusions (starstuff, Starcatchers) intriguing.

Still, the story fell short for me. I've considered that, perhaps, I'm too old to appreciate the writing, but I've read picture books I've found satisfying and I read young adult fiction often, so I don't believe that's the case. The pace is quick, and there's action on every page--I can't fault the book for lack of excitement. Maybe I needed the characters to be fleshed out more.

I will say that I was enthralled with the toothy mermaids and the boat-chomping scenes!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peter and the Starcatchers.