Antof9's Reviews > Can You Keep a Secret?

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Apr 12, 11

bookshelves: 2005-read, bwa-ha-ha, good-chicklit, 2011-read, re-read
Read in April, 2011

Re-read April 11, 2011:
What I always tell people is that it's good this was the first Kinsella I read, because if I'd read those dumb Shopaholic books first, I'd never have bothered with this. That said, this made me laugh out loud the first time I read it, and everyone I've ever talked to about it said the same thing. Ironically, many of us also read it on an airplane, which is funnier if you've read the book.

Anyway, with all my recent heavy reading and because I BookCrossed my first copy of this, when I saw it at Goodwill the other day, I grabbed it. When I read heavy books, I need junk food for a break, and this was just the ticket. Plus, I read part of it on the back deck yesterday and that was lovely too.

I'm lending this to a friend, but keeping it in the permanent collection because it really is a good "break" book.

May 1, 2005 review:

I really enjoyed this book! MUCH more than the stupid Shopaholic books :)

Emma was so loveable and sincere! Jack was fun, and of course, very appealing :) I liked the whole "nobody will tell the boss the truth" thing and Jack and Emma's way around that. I was also very entertained by his American-ness paired with her Britishness.

I wish more of the Kinsella books were like this, and if there's a sequel, I'm all over it :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can You Keep a Secret?.

04/11/2011

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Bark's Book Nonsense Ha, I thought this was one of those stupid shopaholic books which is why it's still sitting here unread! Thanks for the review, now I'll actually read it.

Antof9 LOL! Yeah, fortunately, this was the first Kinsella I ever read, and I laughed out loud when I read it on a plane (just re-read it yesterday). Ever since then, pretty much anyone I've talked to about it has made the laugh out loud comment, and I don't know anyone who didn't like it. Most definitely if I had read the Shopaholics first, I'd never have picked this up. Sad.

Shaunesay Eslanai I like this one, I thought it was cute. So far all I've read are her stand alones, no shopaholics, so I'll be interested to see if I like them after everything I've heard, good and bad.

Antof9 I'll be interested to hear :)