Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Adopted Jane

Adopted Jane by Helen F. Daringer

Jun 19, 15

bookshelves: orphaned-and-quasi-orphaned-kids, reviewed, fiction, novel, childrens, aaalt
Recommended for: girls, those interested in adoption
Read in January, 1963

I adored this book when I was young. The story of an orphan girl (I loved orphan stories), and the two households who are interested in her. I remember I disagreed with the major decision she made, but that didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the book.

From my reread June 2015: I see why it was one of my favorite books in elementary school, more than 50 years ago. It was so weird because I immediately remembered many of the lines, some verbatim. It’s too bad about the anachronisms I was exposed to, probably in most books I read, but this is still an excellent book. I love the children’s classics, especially ones I read when young, but I have to say I’m favorably impressed with so much currently written and published children’s literature. There was so few things here to object to that they were particularly disturbing because without them and a few other things, I’d have no problems about recommending this book to girls ages 8 and up. I still would recommend the book, with some caveats. I’m surprised to find that I disagree with my childhood self – I now heartily agree with Jane’s choice and for more than just her main reason. Reading the story as an adult I was able to see through to things neither Jane nor my younger self at ages 9-10 could see. I’m glad I reread it. I still enjoyed it. If I was reading it today for the first time I’d likely give it 4 vs. 5 stars.
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adopted Jane.

Lisa Vegan Wow! I read this, over at over, at 9 and 10, and I was able to get a hold of this copy of the book. I was thinking of trying to read it before my next book, which I'll start on Tuesday as part of a buddy read. I'd remembered a lot about it, but I've read just a few pages and I remember most of the lines, some verbatim. I said them in my mind before I got to the point where I read them. I don't know if I'll have time to reread it this weekend but I will soon. I assume that it will be a really quick read.

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim Great review, Lisa. Re-reading a childhood favourite after many years is a very interesting experience.

Lisa Vegan Kim wrote: "Great review, Lisa. Re-reading a childhood favourite after many years is a very interesting experience."

Kim, It really was this time. I couldn't believe I knew so many of the lines about to be on the page, verabatim. I hadn't read the book for nearly 50 years and didn't remember any particular lines until I was reading the lines right before them. Weird. I still like the book. I'd have been disappointed if I hadn't still liked it.