Joe's Reviews > What Do You Care What Other People Think?

What Do You Care What Other People Think? by Richard P. Feynman

Feb 26, 08

bookshelves: physics
Recommended for: dorks, dweebs, nerds, anyone with even a cursory appreciation for knowledge and discovery
Read in February, 2008 — I own a copy

I promised myself that i would review this book without comparing it to Surely You're Joking, the seminal work of a curious character. So here goes...

What Do You Care was pretty good but there was a lot of focus on the Challenger explosion, perhaps more than someone looking for a light, charming read could bear.

I found myself really enjoying the stories due to my adoration for this man I was never fortunate enough to meet, but I felt that the book (while only a memoir of sorts) didn't explore Feynman's personality as... another book had. Those who have read only What Do You Care , I fear, may have missed all the important roadsigns on the journey through his defining moments and wa-wa (read the book!).

Granted, the stories were taken from later experiences, it would have been nice to hear about his motivations and musings at such a stage in his life. He's no less quirky or intelligent or incorrigible as he was playing bongos and having women buy him drinks like in... other memoirs. That kind of priceless introspection was what made... other books about Feynman so great.

Nonetheless, I genuinely enjoyed it and would highly recommend it.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Do You Care What Other People Think?.