Leslie Grady's Reviews > Shadowfell

Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier

Sep 17, 12

Read in September, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I love Juliet Marillier! I have been looking forward to starting her new series and was very excited to start Shadowfell. It was very slow to start and really didn't get going until about a third of the way through the book, but once the pace picked up I was racing through! I love the worlds she creates and am excited to read the upcoming books!

Okay - now for the meat. SPOILER ALERT! I loved the non-love, love story. It was incredibly refreshing to watch two characters develop feelings slowly and for the most part, wholly unbeknownst to themselves. There weren't any overly dramatic declarations of love or drawn out mushy inner monologues of teenage angst...such a refresher! Plus, I liked that Marillier doesn't make Flint devastatingly handsome...he is scarred, bruised, and broken just like a true warrior.

Flint is such a complicated character and I enjoyed the slow revelation of his secrets. I am sure most people can see the "spy" thing coming along, but I feel like Marillier is still able to surprise the reader in some aspects. The way he finds an unexpected redemption through Neryn is beautiful...and heart wrenching. How can he keep all the different aspects of his life together and separate at the same time? What is going to happen when he returns to court? When will he see Neryn again? Bring on book 2!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowfell.