Jojo's Reviews > Hardboiled and Hard Luck

Hardboiled and Hard Luck by Banana Yoshimoto

Jan 29, 2009

bookshelves: read2009
Read in January, 2009

Two lovely, delicate stories about death and life and moving on. I read Hardboiled in the bath and Hard Luck curled up in bed, and this was exactly the best way to read them.

Hardboiled is a ghost story, set in the woods and a hotel on the anniversary of the narrator's roommate/lover's death. And it's a ghost story that I loved (this is saying a lot, as ghost stories aren't normally my favorite thing ever)! My favorite of the two stories, actually, although my love for the other story was almost as great.

Hard Luck is about a woman whose sister is dying, set at the time when the family has found out nothing can be done for her and are just waiting for the inevitable end. It's almost unbearably sad at times, but hopeful too, and warm.

This was a different translator than the other Yoshimoto that I read, and it seemed like a smoother read. But, argh, the constant feeling, when reading translations, that something has been lost that I will never ever know about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hardboiled and Hard Luck.