Becky's Reviews > The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows

The Starry Rift by Jonathan Strahan

Jan 20, 09

Read in January, 2009

Strahan, Jonathan. ed, 2008. THE STARRY RIFT: TALES OF NEW TOMORROWS. Viking. 530 pages.

The Starry Rift is 'an original science fiction anthology.' Consisting of sixteen short stories (some really more like novellas), it features the work of some favorites new and old--Scott Westerfeld, Neil Gaiman, Kelly Link, Cory Doctorow, Garth Nix, etc.

There's no guaranteeing you'll like all sixteen stories--I sure didn't--but I'd almost guarantee that you'll absolutely love at least one of them. I'd even go so far as to say that I can guess which story will be your favorite. I feel so strongly about this one story, that I almost want to make it my mission in life to encourage--prod--YOU to read it! The story in question? Ass-Hat Magic Spider. By Scott Westerfeld. Best short story ever.

Other personal highlights include "Lost Continent" by Greg Egan and Pinocchio by Walter Jon Williams. There were sixteen stories in this anthology; I finished fifteen of them. One I abandoned as a lost cause (for me).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Starry Rift.

01/02/2009 page 173