Jane's Reviews > Run

Run by Ann Patchett

F_50x66
Jul 13, 11

Read in December, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I just don't know how Ann Patchett does all she does in one book.
She deals with parenting, family relationhships, drug abuse, race, etc. etc. For example, her knowledge of fish, a subject Tip is expert in, is vast! Also, did she prowl Boston looking for the right neighborhood to use as her setting? How did she know enough about AIDs in Africa to make Sullivan's story ring true?
The book begins with a description of the statue of the Virgin Mary which resembles Bernadette, and this beginning threw me off a bit, leading me to expect a story different from what developed. But I became so interested in that story that . . .who cares!
I was very taken by her description of how one comes to love adopted children, how one cannot imagine their lives in another family. I was not quite so taken by the mystical visit from the real Tennessee in the hospital as "our" Tennessee lay dying, so I'm anxious to hear what the others in my book club thought of that part.
My across the street neighbor told me she didn't like the ending at all, so I was gritting my teeth as the number of pages left me to read diminished, but in fact the ending pleased me.
A great book. The characters were very believable to me and I liked them, especially Kenya. I couldn't read fast enough to learn what was going to happen next. I recommend Run to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Run.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Barner I enjoyed this one also. It is good to read your reaview and be reminded of the novel. I suppose I should read her new one.