Mehrsa's Reviews > How Green Was My Valley

How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn

Jan 21, 09

Read in January, 2009

Ok, so it's probably more like 3 1/2 stars. I felt bad only giving it 3. This book is beautiful. It was written in 1939 and is written in English, but a Welsh English. It's a story of a large family that lives in a coal-mining town and tells the story of all their lives, but with a tragic touch of inevitable loss. You know from the beginning that the town is (figuratively and literally) going to be covered in the slag from the coal mines in now time (how's that for an environmental message--half a century ago).

The book is about nobility and love and family and God. It really is beautiful and I am not really sure why I did not love it. It was over 600 pages and was hard to get through (took me twice as long as Anna Karenina to read). I guess I needed a little more personal angst and not just external evils. I think modern literature does much better at self-reflection and some of the classics are more about good man fighting bad world and I just don't buy that that's life. At least not for me. So I guess it was difficult to relate.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Green Was My Valley.