Sara's Reviews > Thumped

Thumped by Megan McCafferty

Sep 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012, young-adult
Read from September 12 to 14, 2012

Probably 3.5 stars. Thirty-five weeks since Bumped ended, twins Harmony and Melody are both pregnant with twins and set to deliver on the same due date. They're separated, with Harmony back in the religious community of Goodside and Melody in the spotlight out in the rest of the world; their duel pregnancies have made them celebrities to the rest of the world. They're both struggling with secrets, and Melody is excited to make their pregnancies mean something in a world where only teens can procreate and are expected to do so for society's continuation, but in order to do so, they'll have to tell the truth about multiple secrets and are not sure how the rest of the world will react.

I liked this book better than its predecessor, but it still didn't blow me away. Harmony and Melody have more distinct voices in this novel, and the trading of narration worked well. There wasn't a whole lot that happened in this book, but what did happen was done at a quick pace. There was constant action and movement, keeping me interested. Characters weren't developed in here nearly as much as I would have liked, although the twins grew closer and their relationship to one another seemed to improve throughout the book. The supporting characters, including the love interests and all the twins' friends, sort of faded away into the background as the focus of the book was more on its message than on its characters. The end of the book wrapped up the main storyline very quickly and cleanly, but I felt like so many small, not-quite-fully-developed sideplots were left open-ended.

The author was creative in developing the world they lived in, especially in describing how high schools had adapted to the near-constant pregnancies that teen girls were expected to carry. I also liked the different "branding" that went on as the twins (and their agent) tried to make money and capitalize off their fame. Things like this seemed completely believable, especially after situations (as in the book) started to spin out of control. There was definitely an overlying message of how good ideas can turn into bad situations. If you've read Bumped, this is worth picking up, just to find out how the story ends; it's a quick, entertaining read that proves a sequel can sometimes be better than the original book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thumped.