Matthew L.'s Reviews > Devil Said Bang

Devil Said Bang by Richard Kadrey

Sep 16, 12

bookshelves: action-adventure, fantasy, fiction, gothic-horror
Read in September, 2012

I was number five on the hold list and very excited when I got the text that it was in. In fact, it broke my obsessive glut of Christopher Moore reading and I finished it in about a day.

The first half of the book does what Kadrey does best, which is bringing to live new ideas and characters while acknowledging earlier books, then we get to re-visit old beloved characters and places in the second half. Maybe not as much as I would have liked, but there are enough twists to make it feel like a new adventure.

He really can write a romp and I did enjoy myself. I may have read it too fast in retrospect.

My only real complaint is that where the first three books end and feel like there would be satisfaction in the avoided Ragnarok and Stark is back to L.A. I felt this one may have finally caught up with him. That is to say he's been writing La-La/Hollywood too long and set it up for
a sequel. I didn't really dig that.

Do I want more Sandman Slim? Sure. But I don't want to have that groan at the end of Bourne Identity 4 moment, ya know?

That said, I slurped it right up.

It's great fun.

If you liked the previous books in the series, I daresay you'll like this one too.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil Said Bang.