Laura's Reviews > Faithful Place

Faithful Place by Tana French

Sep 16, 12

Read in September, 2012

Wow! This is really a great read. I liked this better than the two previous books (which I liked a lot) because we really didn't have to take much of a leap of faith - the premise here was entirely believable (at least for me). I missed not catching up with Rob and Cassie, but this is a really great story and I was intrigued by Frank in 'The Likeness'.

This story is very bittersweet - Frank thought that he had been dumped by his teenage sweetheart the night before they were to run away together, but instead finds she's been killed. The story is very sad in parts - quite depressing, actually - but ends on a hopeful note. It's really a love story, with murder in it. And the relationships and the characters are wonderfully developed - you really don't hate anyone here, try as you might.

My only issue is that she really hit every lower-class Irish cliche here. Literally, no stereotype is left alone in Frank's family. That was a weak point in the book for me, and something I hadn't noticed in her earlier work. Also, my other concern is that the next book is about Scorcher Kennedy - after this book, I can't imagine him being interesting. Out of everyone in this book, I probably care about him the least! But I'm sure I'll read it.

This is really strong - you've got to check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faithful Place.