Jennifer's Reviews > Incarnation

Incarnation by Emma Cornwall

Sep 27, 12

bookshelves: steampunk
Read from September 16 to 18, 2012

I'm still a newbie when it comes to steampunk. Sometimes the genre is obvious to me, and sometimes - like with Incarnation - I have a hard time understanding where the genre classification stems from. Incarnation is definitely Victorian, but I wasn't able to pick up on the technology that would place this as a steampunk novel. That being said, I think this is the perfect time of year to read a Victorian novel. Last year I read Ghosts by Gaslight: Stories of Steampunk and Supernatural Suspense throughout the month of October. The gothic style of Victorian literature is very fitting to the change in the season.

If I were to classify Incarnation, I would just label it a Victorian vampire story. The main character, Lucy, is the same Lucy from Bram Stoker's Dracula. Except she's not. In Incarnation, Bram Stoker is an author for hire who penned Dracula with large deviations from the truth. Lucy tracks down Stoker on her way to tracking down the creature who turned her. The lack of true connection Incarnation had to the real story of Dracula was a disappointment for me. I'm a fan of Dracula, and the use of the Dracula characters felt like an angle at first. By the end, though, I did enjoy the references that came into play.

The beauty of Incarnation to me is the descriptions of the vampire culture in London. Lucy is not like other vampires. While my usual taste in books left me wanting to know more about the vicious and seductive vampires tucked away in London, I remained captivated by Lucy and the world Emma Cornwall created.

I recommend Incarnation to those who are fans of vampire lore and enjoy the beauty of Victorian literature.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarnation.

09/16/2012 page 50
14.0% "Lucy from Stoker's Dracula" 2 comments

message 1: by Ninja Girl (new) - added it

Ninja Girl I <3 that cover!! Hope the story's as good as it looks ;)

Jennifer It's a gorgeous cover. I wondered if it would fit the story, but so far it does. :)

Carolyn I just started this one last night and found some of that steam punk technology on page 18 - when Lucy is waiting at the front of the theatre and the Watchers arrived, "gliding along on their upright Teslaways" (which name makes me think of Segways), and about the changes since Nicola Tesla had come to England. I'm sure there is more ahead, but it sounds like gadgets are not used heavily in the story, which is fine with me. :)