Nathalie's Reviews > Four Past Midnight

Four Past Midnight by Stephen King

Feb 21, 09

bookshelves: own, 2009-read
Read in February, 2009, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** The langoliers, the first story of the four short novella's of which this book exists, is the best one. I enjoyed reading it and tried ofcourse to see some of the TV-show Lost in it. I could also easily put myself in the place of Brian Engle, the pilot. The way he first doesn's believe what's happening and when everything becomes more clearer his ability to do believe what in this case a 8-year old girl is telling. I could summarize this story in a few sentences. It's about a journey to the end of time and back, sort of speak, with ofcourse Stephen King's wild imagination joining them.

Secret window, secret garden is the second and most known for it's film adaptation with Johnny Depp. I didn't like it that much. I thought the tension build up was too long with a too short climax. When it really began to become interesting, it was over. Feels like a date that lasted all day and at the end when things could get really interesting, you just get a goodnight kiss and a pat on the back.
To summarize: It's about the journey to the end of a man's imagination and finding there nothing but his own craziness.

The third, Library Policeman, I liked the least. It could be because I've never heard the story in my childhood. At home we were stimulated to read and I think with that kind of story you would become afraid of going to the library, which was still the place to go to get books when I was in school.
It's about a man who is forced to relive a childhood trauma, in order to repelt an enemy larger than his imagination. This is ofcourse with help of some friends.

The last story, the Sun Dog, is about a place many of Stephen King lovers know and love. Castle Rock. I've read Needful Things before this story and the only thing it does is that it explains what happened to Pop Merrill. I've read the introduction of Stephen King and he calls it one of the 3 stories that put Castle Rock behind him. I thought it wasn't all that terrific. It was a good read, but not the same as his other Castle Rock books.
Summary: Clear and simple: Be careful what you wish for and you can't always get what you want.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Four Past Midnight.

01/30/2009 page 62
02/02/2009 page 142
19.4% "Almost at the end of The Langoliers"
02/08/2009 page 312
42.62% "Secret Window, Secret Garden"
02/12/2009 page 494
67.49% "The Library policeman"
02/17/2009 page 656