Pili's Reviews > The Dovekeepers

The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman

Sep 16, 12

Read in September, 2012

I have always been drawn to historical novels, and even more to those about ancient times because I have this love for history and archeology. This novel promised a story told about the women of Israel during the hardest of time, and I was very intrigued by it.

It took me a while to get into the book, the storytelling is great, but I was unsure at first of where the story was going.

The story is told by the point of view of four women: Yael, Revka, Aziza and Shirah, and through their story is woven the story of the defeant of Jerusalem at the hands of the Romans, and the resistance and fall of the last fortress of Masada. They are the Dovekeepers, and we learn of their past and what made them who they are as they live through the hardships of the desert, the fear of the siege and the desperation of the final night.

It's a story carried by a great narrative, a visual description of details that bring these women and the life they had to life. After my initial unsureness about the book, I finished it in a weekend and was left with a sense of completeness.

It's a book about hardship, companionship, about being different, being cast aside, being loved, war, hope, loneliness... it is, put simply, a book about life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dovekeepers.