Cynthia's Reviews > The Malice of Fortune

The Malice of Fortune by Michael Ennis

Sep 16, 12

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012
Read in September, 2012

This isn't a horrible; in fact the premise caught my attention. It has many famous characters such as Cesare Borgia (Rodrigo, the pope's middle son, who was a cardinal and after his brother, Juan, was killed Cesare was released from the church as he'd been wanting to be and took over Juan's duties as head of Rodrigo's army), Niccolo Machaivelli, and Leonardo Da Vinci. I hated the characterization Da Vinci, making him into almost a caricature of what some people consider homosexual behavior. That was the only part that really grated; the other 60% (I couldn't force myself to continue) was so, so. There wasn't enough of a mystery or utilization of these famed people to compel me to read on. I hate abandoning books unread but I hate worse being kept from better stories and better writing.

This review is based on an e-galley provided by the publisher. Perhaps it was better reading in the finished version?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Malice of Fortune.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Ronan (new)

Mary Ronan Drew Interesting review and coming at an appropriate time. I picked up the book earlier (library copy) and promptly fell asleep. How can one fall asleep over anything the Borgias, Machiavelli, and Leonardo are doing? Of course I'm falling asleep over everything these last few days, but I did stay awake long enough to read 50 pages of The Constant Nymph . . .

So I'll put the book back in the book bag and let the next lucky person on the library list have it. I can usually trust your reviews as our tastes run parallel in some genres.

Will you be reading and reviewing the new Dennis Lehane book? I have already bought it and expect it to be as good as his earlier ones, which have been terrific.

message 2: by Cynthia (last edited Sep 19, 2012 08:08AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cynthia I'm glad you're getting some rest.

How in the world can a book fail with such fascinating characters. Looks like lots of people liked it though which the biggest reason I struggled through as much of it as I did. Have you watched the HBO series?

I missed out on getting a free copy so the Lehane will have to wait for now :(. It stung esp since it's set in the 20's isnt it? I love that period setting. I'll be on the look out for your review!

message 3: by Mary Ronan (new)

Mary Ronan Drew Hmm, are you suggesting I give The Malice of Fortune a longer tryout? I really have trouble believing a book about Machiavelli and the Borgias isn't a rip-roarer.

Kilian just recommended the first of the Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris and I'm going to give that a try.

Cynthia I have to wonder what I missed that others liked but there are too many good books vying for my attention. I pulled the eject cord. Honestly I doubt you'll enjoy it any more than I did :(. A shame since Ennis had such a great 'hook' in these characters.

She likes those and the George Martin SF series that the hbo production was based on which makes me feel tempted to read both but I just haven't found the time yet. Both sets sound like books that are good when you're having trouble concentrating so I might save them for such a period.

message 5: by Mary Ronan (new)

Mary Ronan Drew Ok, I'll leave the Ennis book in the book bag to go back to the library and move on to Stackhouse. (I love the name.)

Kilian's comments on books can be relied on and right now I consider a recommendation from her a prescription. I'm doing whatever medical people tell me to do these days.

Cynthia Great. Looking forward to your reaction to them. I bet ms. notv hasn't watched either series. I loved both seasons of the Martin especially the actor who plays the younger brother and the blond warrior woman. He's a sleeper.

'True Blood' has had seasons that are excellent and some that were too fantastical for my tastes but having missed the books I'm not sure how closely the sript follows them. One of my nephews (26 yo)loves 'true blood'.

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Knoke Cynthia,
Appreciate the frank review!
Cindy

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol One of our staff members really, really liked this. We have a cart of star reads and this was her pick. It's interesting to hear the two different pov's.