Marni's Reviews > Laddie: A True Blue Story

Laddie by Gene Stratton-Porter

First things first, I admit it took all of us a while to get into the story. I'm not one to quit a book, especially one so highly recommended, but I was trying to think of ways to help us through it, or stop for a while and go back. I'm very glad we kept on.

I think our difficulties came from not connecting with the characters right off. I would also get bogged down by the prose while I was reading it to the kids. Doesn't flow as easily as it could.

BUT - all of that is nothing compared to what can be learned in the book. It is a beautiful picture of an earlier time period. The parents are deeply religious and self-taught in many things (Little Sister comments that they never had a teacher that knew as much as mother and father, because no one read and learned as much as they did). The mother was mostly uneducated when she met her husband, and she admits herself that she learns much of what she knows now learning along with her children and being taught by the father as much as the children were. The mother and father work together and support one another.

Laddie is always a gentleman and a great big brother, always looking out to help his mother, father, Little Sister, and the other siblings. He doesn't see any need to fight, and if he has to he walks away still liking the other person.

It's fun to watch Little Sister growing up even in the short period in the story, from shouting out to the family that her sister is engaged, to her stopping to think about how she can best help situations.

There are some funny parts (like what happens to an overly fed goose), but I found the most value in the characters.

My favorite part was in chapter 13 when Mr. Pryor pays an unexpected visit and mother talks to him about what their family values and what it means to be a lady.

I will definitely be reading this one again, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the beginning as much as the ending, knowing what I know now.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Laddie.

Cindi How are you liking this? We just finished Man of the Family and started Grip of the Shadow Plague.

Marni We just finished Shadow Plague two nights ago - finally! I love the spiritual symbolism in his books, just little here's and there's about light and darkness. Don't want to go into too much.

We've got about 5 chapters left of Laddie, so we should be finishing it next week. Some of the chapters are really long, so we usually do one a day but sometimes I break it up. I'm enjoying the second half more than the first, but maybe just because I'm into it more and wasn't relating to the characters right off. For several chapters I was thinking, "So what's the big deal?" No so anymore.