Mark Desrosiers's Reviews > Get in the Van: On the Road With Black Flag

Jan 01, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: music, memoirs
Read in December, 2008

As a misanthrope and a solipsist, young Henry Rollins is the midpoint between Gene Simmons and Arthur Schopenhauer (with whom he bears more than a passing resemblance). This book chronicles his transformation from an insecure D.C. ice-cream sales associate to a self-absorbed glossolalia Cardassian. Compassion, malice, and egoism (the nascent traits that Henry calls his "Discipline, Insanity, and Exile") are vividly enacted here, everything from skinheads interrupting Henry's taking a shit to his rationale for being booze-free ("I don't want anything to disturb my signal" 10.27.85).

I prefer the early scribbling, when he was documenting a DIY scene, putting down the facts. Round about 1985, entries get squishier, longer, stoopider. Not sure about his music tastes during this era either-- Diamanda Galas, Jerry Garcia, Nick Cave... Even despite the cannabis haze, I can kinda see why Greg Ginn was ready to remove Henry from his sonic vision.

"I am infected, I a lucky, I am stricken, I am alive," the diarist says on April 17, 1985 (after his hideous backpiece was fully inked). That's where I gave up reading closely. You get less a music memoir than a Spartan punker griping and philosophizing as fast as his empty stomach and the coffee grinds between his teeth will allow. Typical of austere solipsists: Henry omits LOTS of groovy band details and trivia. Hell, you barely notice that d. boon died after Henry mentions this funeral that he skipped.

Great photos though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Get in the Van.

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean I guess I never really "got" Rollins or Black Flag, though a few musos have mentioned I might like their (B.F.) later Sabbath-y stoner-rock experiments.

Apparently, Rollins has (had?) a radio show and he does play some good tunes. I dunno, he just seems a bit up his own arse--which is fine, just as long as he's musically interesting, which I don't find him to be...not much anyway.

The book seems like it could be partially a decent read.

Mark Desrosiers There are many who think Black Flag's last album, In My Head was Greg Ginn's finest moment as a guitarist and songwriter -- also, Henry's voice is mixed pretty low on that album (I think Greg was phasing him out by that point). But for stoner-doom rock from that scene you should definitely turn to labelmates (and tourmates) Saint Vitus!

Oh and Henry himself says the best Black Flag album was The First Four Years , which consists entirely of tracks released before he came on board. I will give him credit for being very self-aware!