Greg Northrup's Reviews > The Westies: Inside New York's Irish Mob

The Westies by T.J. English

Jan 01, 09

Read in December, 2008

This is a very engaging account of the notorious Hell's Kitchen Irish Mob, with a particular emphasis on the 60s-80s period. Meticulously researched and highly entertaining. Based largely on testimony and (presumably) interviews with a "Westies" defector, the level of detail with which dialogue of 20+ year old conversations is reproduced strains credulity somewhat.. still, its all in the interest of a great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Westies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rachael Gilkey I met the author a few months ago. All that happened right around where I work. Sort of exciting, right? Can I borrow this from you? It is a Mick book, after all.

~Rachael

Greg Northrup Absolutely. That's cool that you got to meet him. Did you get his contact info at all?

Did you workplace exist back in the Westies glory days?

Rachael wrote: "I met the author a few months ago. All that happened right around where I work. Sort of exciting, right? Can I borrow this from you? It is a Mick book, after all.

~Rachael"

Rachael Gilkey We were here right in the middle of it. Established in 1972. As I've been told, it was an old ragamuffin of a building at the time...not to dissimilar to how it is now, come to think of it. I don't know if the Westies had any dealings with the Center though.