Deirdre's Reviews > Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin

Sep 16, 2012

Read in February, 2008

This is an interesting and insightful look at some of the ways in which animals think, it made me think about the treatment of animals and how I could help make things better.

It advocates looking at things from an animals perspective and thinking about how to make their lives easier. It includes things like how to train our domestic friends how to tolerate children and the new and how to notice if there are issues. It's interesting to see how Temple herself can see this because of her autism. She seems to have a way into thinking like an animal because of it but a way into talking to other people about it as well. I particularly enjoyed the stories of the parrot Arthur, who died recently, and how she has managed to think her way through the ways in which animals really think instead of trying to understand them on a human level.

It's well worth reading, particularly if you have a pet or plan to have one, or just want a different perspective on animals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animals in Translation.