Wayne's Reviews > The Games

M 50x66
Sep 16, 2012

it was ok
Read in September, 2012

It's an interesting concept. This is a near future book where the newest games of the Olympics are also the bloodiest. There is a return of gladiator competitions; however, it is not man vs man but freak vs freak. Geneticists are given free rain to create any type of beast they want which will fight in the gladiator arena. The only rule is that the beasts cannot have any human DNA. All fights are fights to the death. This is the story of one such creation that has baffled even the geneticists. The design of the best came from the most advanced computer in the world and then built in a test tube. Only, the scientists don't really know what it is or is capable of.

It's an interesting concept and I was actually looking forward to it. I thought it would be more along the lines of how they built and trained the beast and how the creation would have to overcome insurmountable odds in the arena to take home the gold. But it is more about wrestling with what they created and the power and influence of the games over scientific ethics. I thought it was just okay - a bit long. Near the end I was just ready for it to be over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Games.