Ails's Reviews > Slammed

Aug 31, 14

bookshelves: reviewed, contemporary
Recommended to Ails by: Jan Bethel
Read from October 28 to 29, 2012

Slam poetry plays a major role in Colleen Hoover's "Slammed." So instead of the traditional way, I present you my attempt at a simple poetic review. Note: "Schooled" is originally written by Layken Cohen, the main female character in this book.

"Schooled"

By fictional characters
By a beautiful story
By a book

By Layken, Will, Julia, Kel, and Eddie
They taught me to accept death and life
That it'll get in our way and we have to be ready
They taught me to laugh, love, hope, and cry
That someday, the hardships and heartaches will all come in handy

I got schooled this year
By a story of romance with a great depth to it
It taught me to use both my head and my heart
To balance and treat the two of them as a unit
It taught me to be open-minded and smart
To ask myself a few questions before I commit

I got schooled this year..
By "Slammed"

As much as I don't wish to provide further details (to avoid making a very long review), I think I have to write the part that I feel so strongly about:

"I slide into the bed beside my mother and wrap my arms around her. She finds my hand and we interlock fingers as we talk without saying a single word."

I won't lie, I cried so hard at this. My mom and I used to do the same thing when I was a kid. How many times did someone tell us to treasure our mother, or parents in general, while they're still alive? And how many times did we shrug and ignore it?

Do they have to be dying before we relive the old days? The good old days when they're the most important person/s in our lives and not our social shits or boyfriends or girlfriends?

You know what? We're going to spend our lives with our husband/wife LONGER than we have with our parents. Love them with all you got and don't half-ass it.

So you see, this amazing book made me experience a spectrum of emotion! And yes, it absolutely "schooled" me. I highly-recommend!! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

Quotes Ails Liked

Colleen Hoover
“Don't take life too seriously. Punch it in the face when it needs a good hit. Laugh at it.”
Colleen Hoover, Slammed

Colleen Hoover
“Does he treat you with respect at all times? That's the first question. The second question is, if he is the exact same person twenty years from now that he is today, would you still want to marry him? And finally, does he inspire to be a better person? You find someone you can answer yes to all three, then you've found a good man.”
Colleen Hoover, Slammed

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jan Bethel Aaahh.. I cried at that part too.. :) I'm glad you enjoyed this and got "schooled". ;)

message 2: by Ails (last edited Oct 28, 2012 05:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL, JAN!! THANKS FOR RECOMMENDING THIS, NOW WE'RE EVEN! Haha!

Grabe. I cried like a baby. :'(

Jan Bethel Hahaha! No problem. It's beautiful, isn't it? I cried a lot too. And the second book, Point of Retreat is something too. I'm actually pretty lucky to have signed copies of these two books. :)

Ails Yup! Insta-love isn't among my favorite love stories but I made an exception for this one. The falling in love part was easy but the whole working it out and getting together was full of struggles!

Ails How did you get signed copies of the books!! Lucky girl!

Jan Bethel True. I'm not fond of insta-loves too. And I really stated that in my review of the book. haha! I agree with you. And the poetry is beautiful too, right?

Colleen gave me my signed copies. She sent it to me after I made my review of her book a month ago. They're like royalty on my shelf now. lol

message 7: by Ails (last edited Oct 28, 2012 12:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails I agree. I can't express enough how the first poem in Slammed (the one the mother presented) blew me away!

Wow I'm jealous!! Are you sure someone's just have to write a review? Or are there some forms/applications that I have to fill up? :-/

Jan Bethel Another one of my favorites was Will's "Lake". :)

No, actually. I just wrote a review because I read the book and loved it and was surprised to see a message from her the next few days saying she loved my review and would like to give me signed copies. That's all. And as for me, I simply did the happy dance afterwards. haha!

message 9: by Ails (last edited Oct 28, 2012 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails Ooohh you're so lucky!! I wish there's still enough copies to be given away. I never had a book signed by an author. :/

I can imagine how happy you were when you saw her msg ;))

Jan Bethel Haha. Yes, they were my first ever signed books. And you could always just imagine me when the books finally arrived. Boy! I think our whole street heard heard me laughing and screaming. haha! Why don't you try entering book giveaways held my blogs? I won another book here at goodreads and another one from this blog. Some blogs give out signed books.

message 11: by Ails (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails I never joined giveaways because I thought I'd never win anyway! =)) Now I know the possibilities are there and I just have to act :P Thanks again, Jan!!

message 12: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Hoover Haha. I usually don't read comments on reviews, but I'm so glad these caught my eye! Ails, send me your address to colleenhoover@live.com and I'll get you your own set. <3 And thank you for this beautiful review!

message 13: by Ails (last edited Oct 28, 2012 04:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails OMYGOD I think I'm hyperventilating~ ヾ( ´∇`)ノ

I can't believe this. Someone pinch me! Oh no! Don't pinch me!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, COLLEEN! You don't know how happy & ecstatic I am right now. And I'm glad you like my review! It's the best I can do to thank you for writing this book. ♥ I'll msg you! Thanks again! *e-hugs and e-kisses*

message 14: by Georgia (last edited Oct 28, 2012 04:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Georgia Cruz You're not alone Ails. That is how I reacted when Colleen replied to my message ;) and I also did have my own signed copy of the book! I even cried when I've received it! It made my year complete! :) I just not only love the book, but the person who wrote it.

message 15: by Ails (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails Hi, Suyen! Really?! Wow this is awesomeeee. In a few weeks time, I'll have my very own signed copies, too!~ (〜^∇^)〜

Georgia Cruz Congrats! :)

message 17: by Ails (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails Thank you! :>

Dr. Canitazz Emerson Ails I LOVED YOUR REVIEW! I could no agree with you more when it comes to our parents.

Jan Bethel CONGRATULATIONS, Ails. XD

message 20: by Ails (last edited Oct 28, 2012 11:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails Marlene - Thanks so much, Marlene! I'm glad someone can relate to it! :) :)

Jan - I feel like I owe you, Jan! Big time! Thank yoouu!! ♥

Michael Burhans the only thing better than the two Slammed books, is the woman who wrote them. Colleen is what my step-dad used to call, "Good Folk." It was his highest compliment, and rarely given.

Check out The Avett Brothers music too, I think of her when I listen to them now, and reread the books listening to the songs!

Jan Bethel I reread Slammed while listen to I and Love and You. :D I love the Avett Brothers and I'm glad Colleen introduced them to me.

Erika Custodio Ails!!! Oh my God, I think I hyperventilated too when I read the good news for you :D Oh my gosh, Colleen is so amazing ♥ Congrats, Ails! I envy you and Suyen for having signed copies of her books :< HOW I WISH :') Hihi. But I guess I'll just savor the fact that Colleen liked my review for Slammed. It's better than nothing! :3 Hihihi. Just dropped by to say congratulations and that your review is really great! Hihi ♥

message 24: by Ails (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails "The only thing better than the two Slammed books, is the woman who wrote them"

Michael - I couldn't agree more to that! Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely reread the book while listening to The Avett Brothers tonight!

Jan - I'll search for that song right after I finish this comment haha!

Erika - Thank youu, Erika! :D Jan Bethel here also got her signed copies directly from Colleen! She's the kindest! ♥ Don't worry, for sure one day you'll receive yours and it'll come when you least expect it!

Jan Bethel True that, Ails! ;) Ours really did come UNEXPECTEDLY! :)

Erika Custodio Oh. Therefore, I also envy Jan :< Hihihi :) You are all so lucky! :') I do hope that that "unexpected moment" for me will come by as soon as possible. Hihi :)

Cecile Nice slam, and I agree with your quote. The power in those words hold true speaking from a very similar experience with my own mother in her final months.

message 28: by Ails (last edited Nov 15, 2012 06:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails Cecile - Thank you, Cecile!!

The power in those words hold true speaking from a very similar experience..

I agree! So true! Saddest part is we are so busy growing up we forget our parents are growing old too. :(

message 29: by Tia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tia what a beautiful review :)

message 30: by Ails (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails Tia wrote: "what a beautiful review :)"

Thank you, Tia!!

Stephanie loved your review on your very own SCHOOLED slam!! one of the best books I've come across!! made me feel so many unknown emotions!

message 32: by Ails (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails Stephanie wrote: "loved your review on your very own SCHOOLED slam!! one of the best books I've come across!! made me feel so many unknown emotions!"

Thank you, Stephanie!!

Sonia ღ Beautiful ♥

message 34: by Ails (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails Thank you, Sonia! :) ♥

VampDiva I really like your review. It's heartwarming but also sad because not all of us have/had loving parents. Some deny their children the basics both physically and emotionally. So if you are one of the lucky ones, my heart swells for you ;)

reeba I felt the same way too. Hoover has the art of sweeping me by my emotions. It was as if i was somewhere hidden in the story observing each and everything going on.
Anyways, your review is simply amazing and i love the slam part. It says all(its the reason i stopped scrolling and commented)....:)

Divergent Gryffindor Oh my, I super love your poem! I got overwhelmed by emotions cause that's exactly how I feel!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Love your review! Great job. :-)

message 39: by Ails (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails VampDiva wrote: "I really like your review. It's heartwarming but also sad because not all of us have/had loving parents. Some deny their children the basics both physically and emotionally. So if you are one of th..."

Sorry for the late reply! Yes I'm lucky to have loving parents. But I guess God has showered each one us with blessings, only in different forms. ♥ Thanks for the comment! Means a lot to me. :)

message 40: by Ails (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails reeba wrote: "I felt the same way too. Hoover has the art of sweeping me by my emotions. It was as if i was somewhere hidden in the story observing each and everything going on.
Anyways, your review is simply am..."

Oh, I'm glad! Thank you so much for the kind words. I really appreciate that you took some time to leave a comment. ♥

message 41: by Ails (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails Divergent wrote: "Oh my, I super love your poem! I got overwhelmed by emotions cause that's exactly how I feel!"

So sweet! Thank you so much! ^^ ♥

message 42: by Ails (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ails Tammie (certified bed reader) wrote: "Love your review! Great job. :-)"

Thank you, Tammie! :) ♥

Nneka Ails your review is beautiful. I totally felt the same way. It's a great read. I was definitely schooled by slammed