Auntee's Reviews > Daring Time

Daring Time by Beth Kery

Jul 07, 09

bookshelves: erotic-romance, time-travel-romance, 2009_reads
Recommended for: Fans of erotic romance who would enjoy a time-travel theme
Read in July, 2009

Oh boy, can Beth Kery tell a story! I hardly know where to begin with this one. Except for a few passages and some minor details, I loved everything about this book. It was just so darned interesting, and even though at times it pushed my comfort level, I was on board all the way! Although I must say I wasn't quite sure if I was reading an erotic romance, a time-travel romance, an historical romance, or a romantic suspense--I guess it was all that rolled into one!

I loved the whole time-travel (with a hint of reincarnation) plot of the Chicago detective trying to go back in time to prevent the murder of the gorgeous woman he sees in his mirror. I've read a few time-travel romances, but none like this. Hot, hot, hot! Along with the time-travel plot, you get a mystery/suspense, a historical and modern day erotic romance with a healthy dose of kink thrown into the mix. Oh wow, the scenes between the H/H...

The heroine, Hope Stillwater, is from the early 20th century. She's a minister's daughter, beautiful, wealthy, smart, brave, gorgeous, and a social reformer. She's all about making a better world for women and children and the less fortunate. Sort of a modern day social worker. She was just an all around sweet and generous person. And yes, at the start of the book she was a virgin, but you get the picture that if the right man came along...so long, virginity!

And speaking of the right man...what can I say about the hero, Chicago police detective Ryan Daire? 6'4" of raw masculinity, lover of Shakespeare, architecture, and Chicago history, reputation as a lover extraordinaire with a taste for kink, volunteer boxing coach (he's an amateur boxing champ--which is important to the plotline) for inner city youths, and working on a big case that could put a major scumbag who's involved with white slavery and human trafficking in jail for a long time.

So 20th century Hope and 21st century Ryan meet in an unusual way--he's just inherited what once was her house (back in 1906) and sees her when he looks through the looking glass of an old wardrobe in the house. He's fascinated by her beauty and they end up having some hot times in front of the old mirror! Oh jeez, the scene where she loses her virginity...wickedly unusual! After doing some research, he figures out who she is and what becomes of her (she ends up murdered). He wonders if he can somehow go back in time (through the mirror) and prevent this from happening--sort of rewrite history.

Well, not only does he go back in time (this was sooo cool), but he finds out that Hope's past is entwined with his present. That's all I'm going to say because saying more (and explaining it) is not only difficult but a big fat spoiler.

Now, fair warning--there are some pretty rough, raw, sex scenes in this one, including one where there's some voyeurism going on (icky), some bondage, spanking and other kinkiness--but all done within the context of the plot. I don't know how to say it except that it was all tied into the plot of trying to undo Hope's future. And yes, there were other scenes of some light bondage and spanking (Ryan was known for his kinky ways) and some displays of dominance by Ryan (thankfully no master/slave vibe), but what the heck, Hope didn't seem to mind, so I was okay with it. But for some readers who may be a bit uncomfortable with this, I'd have to say you could skim over these scenes if you want, and still have a very fine story to read.

There were a few other things I enjoyed. I liked the little history lesson I got about Chicago and the early 20th century--fascinating stuff about the Prairie Avenue District. I like a little dose of history with my romances. I also liked to see/read Hope's thoughts about the 21st century. I had to laugh about her obsession with the softness of toilet paper, and the state of women's fashion. Very cute. I also liked the bits of reincarnation introduced--including one character who was a woman during Hope's time? Funny.

One little bit of nitpicking for me--I was getting tired of Ryan calling Hope "witch" every time he made love to her. It may have been hot the first one or two times, but I was getting kind of annoyed with it after a while. I know he meant it as an endearment, but it would have been nice to hear him actually say her name! But that was a minor annoyance in a very exciting and well told story.

So, if you're looking for something a little different in your romance, and don't mind a bit of kink and some steamy sex scenes, coupled with an unusual plot that has a few twists and turns, a couple of likable characters that have a grand, passionate adventure, and leads up to a nice little HEA, give this one a try. This was by far the most original book I've read this year. I'm wavering a bit here, but I think it deserves 5 stars!

Warning: This book contains graphic language, explicit sex including oral and anal, voyeurism, some light BDSM including paddling, spanking, use of handcuffs and I'm probably forgetting something but you get my drift--not for the faint of heart!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daring Time.

07/05/2009 page 22
6.45% "Yowza..."
07/05/2009 page 100
29.33% "Oh boy, he's through the mirror already..."
07/06/2009 page 219
64.22% "Strange book--but in a good way..."
07/06/2009 page 261
76.54% "Oh boy!"
07/07/2009 page 341
100.0% "Very unusual story. Review to follow..."

Kathrynn Oh boy. :-)

message 2: by Shawna (last edited Jul 07, 2009 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Great review, Auntee! :) I had pushed this one down a ways on the ole' TBR pile after some mixed reviews, but it sounds like I need to bump it right back up there because I know if you loved it this much, then I probably will too! Sounds like such a mixed bag of romance genres and hotness, and the hero sounds majorly yummy!

message 3: by Chasidy (new) - added it

Chasidy I think I'm sold.:)

Kathrynn Nice review! :-)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, Auntee! You summed up how I felt about Daring Time, perfectly :)

message 6: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae Great review, Auntee

message 7: by Willow (new)

Willow Brook Excellent reviews. This is in my TBR pile. Sounds really interesting.

message 8: by Dina (last edited Jul 08, 2009 07:36AM) (new) - added it

Dina Great review, Auntee! I'm still on the fence about this one - I'm kind of "faint of heart" - but you got me interested enough to give it a 2nd thought.

Auntee Thanks all!:)

Dina, if those kind of scenes are kind of "over-the-top" for you, you can always skim or skip over them. They don't take up a whole lot of the book, and there's plenty of story besides the sex scenes.:D
But you know your mind better than me!:)

message 10: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Auntee wrote: "Dina, if those kind of scenes are kind of "over-the-top" for you, you can always skim or skip over them. They don't take up a whole lot of the book, and there's plenty of story be..."

Thanks, Auntee, I'll take that in consideration. I have no problem skimming through sex scenes when they bother me, as long as there's a story outside the bedroom. Otherwise, what's left to read in the book? ;)

Another question: how "dominant" is Ryan? I like a strong and arrogant hero as much as the next gal but, going along with East, I don't need another Clint the Neanderthal.

message 11: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim Auntee, do you remember how Ryan is connected to Nial and/or Vic from Wicked Burn?

message 12: by Laura (last edited Jul 08, 2009 09:48AM) (new)

Laura Okay, Auntee, so you think I would like this one?? I mean, I like the kink you mentioned. BTW, how can voyeurism be icky (LOL)? Anyway, Ryan is not as Uber as Vic, right? If so, I'll give this one a try. I would love to find a Beth Kery novel I like, and you've kinda sold me on this one with your great review. ;)

xoxo
Laura Stamps
Author of Erotica and Paranormal Romance Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (excerpts from all of my novels)
http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)

Auntee Dina wrote: "Auntee wrote: "Dina, if those kind of scenes are kind of "over-the-top" for you, you can always skim or skip over them. They don't take up a whole lot of the book, and there's plenty of story be....."

Dina, Ryan had one scene that kind of bugged me. One of those "punishing" the heroine sex scenes, where he spanked her and then had her kneel and perform oral sex on him. This was all because she "put herself in danger" and worried him to death, etc.--of course he couldn't tell her that...:) However, that was probably as dominant and alpha as he got. (And she loved it.) In no way did I think that he was a Neanderthal (like Clint)!:)Most of the time he kept his dominant side under control and was pretty loving and tender with Hope--even though he was a bit forceful and kinky!

Auntee Kim wrote: "Auntee, do you remember how Ryan is connected to Nial and/or Vic from Wicked Burn?"

I'm not sure that he is--I'm going to have to take a look back at "Wicked Burn" and see if he was mentioned. I know that Vic and Nial were not mentioned in "Daring Time"...

message 15: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Awesome review Auntee!

Auntee Laura wrote: "Okay, Auntee, so you think I would like this one?? I mean, I like the kink you mentioned. BTW, how can voyeurism be icky (LOL)? Anyway, Ryan is not as Uber as Vic, right? If so, I'll give this ..."

Laura, I don't think that Ryan was as uber as Vic, but then again maybe you would? You are hyper aware of those Ubers though...:)

The voyeurism was 'icky' because of the scuzzy people who were doing the watching (and also what went on while they were watching...)

I'm putting it aside for you!;D

message 17: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim Auntee wrote: "Kim wrote: "Auntee, do you remember how Ryan is connected to Nial and/or Vic from Wicked Burn?"

Oh, ok. Somehow I got the impression the books were related. I'm gonna give it a read.

message 18: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Auntee wrote: "Dina, Ryan had one scene that kind of bugged me. One of those "punishing" the heroine sex scenes, where he spanked her and then had her kneel and perform oral sex on him. ..."

Thanks again, Auntee! What you described reminded me of one of the love scenes in Behind Closed Doors by Shannon McKenna. I had no problems with Seth, so... ;)

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura Awesome! Thanks, Cheryl!! I'm looking forward to it!

xoxo
Laura Stamps
Author of Erotica and Paranormal Romance Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (excerpts from all of my novels)
http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)