Marieke's Reviews > Miramar

Miramar by Naguib Mahfouz

Jan 02, 11

bookshelves: egypt, fiction, re-read, 2010
Recommended to Marieke by: Alexandria, Egypt

I read this in English in December 2007 when i was in Alexandria, Egypt (where the book takes place). I gave it four stars, but i never wrote a review because i hadn't joined GoodReads yet. I just remember that i enjoyed this book quite a lot. i remember liking the gloomy atmosphere of the story and I enjoyed that the weather i was experiencing was just as Mahfouz described it in this book. Also there was some suspense, which is always fun.

Now i am trying to read it in Arabic. Because i am crazy. and very possibly a glutton for punishment. I have this weird idea that i might understand more than الاسكندرية and ماريانا، عزيزتي ماريانا by the time i get to the last page.

Please, wish me luck.

And thank you all my dear egyptian friends for not laughing at me while i attempt this insanity!

XOXO,
مريكا

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miramar.

12/02/2010 page 10

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alasse (new)

Alasse You're my hero. Good luck! If you need your hand held or something, you know where we are ;)

message 2: by Nile daughter (last edited Dec 03, 2010 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nile daughter wooow , in Arabic
I think I will start in it soon :)..Good luck and for sure no one will laugh

Marieke thanks!! so far i am just getting the bare gist. i have to read slowly and i have to read everything twice. i'm trying to only look up a few words on each page. :D

message 4: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Good luck, Marieke!

Marieke thanks, KD! it's a big experiment.

Nile daughter You can do it :D

Marieke Nile daughter wrote: "You can do it :D"

haha! i *will* but also i wonder how much i'll have understood when i get to the end. right now i think that he is describing weather and catching up with marianna and i think he just got himself a room in the Miramar.

Nile daughter I think that is good so far ;) I did not read it before , so no comments until I start :p

message 9: by NG (new) - rated it 4 stars

NG Yaaaaaaay! Good for you :D
We're waiting for you to join the book discussion :D

Marieke Ng wrote: "Yaaaaaaay! Good for you :D
We're waiting for you to join the book discussion :D"

ha! i think i'll have to read the english alongside the arabic if i want to chat about it...i'm not quite understanding enough (yet). but it's a fun experiment!

message 11: by NG (new) - rated it 4 stars

NG It's all about having fun :)

message 12: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Lynx La'a, boosi, why would anyone laugh?

Marieke...I also can suggest several (Arabic) YA novels that I think are very clear and great for a beginning Arabic reader, especially Fatima Sharafeddine's Faten. I think you can get it from Amazon.Com? If not, Neelwafurat?

Marieke I definitely want to try some of those! I'll try amazon first and if I strike out there I'm sure neelwafurat would have them and I dont think it should be hard to order them since my Arabic tutor gave me their info a few years ago. Can you send me a short list of recommendations? :D

message 14: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Lynx Marieke wrote: "I definitely want to try some of those! I'll try amazon first and if I strike out there I'm sure neelwafurat would have them and I dont think it should be hard to order them since my Arabic tutor g..."

Yes ma'am. There are basically 4 YA books I really recommend, and there's a "middle grade" one I'm reading right now, but it's more...well, I feel too grown-up for it. :-)

I also review Arabic children's lit:

Basically, I recommend (for Arabic YA):

The 2005 الملجأ by Samah Idris, the 2006 النصأب, the October 2010 فاتن by Fatima Sharafeddine and ... I haven't gotten it yet, but in December 2010 Idris released فلافل النازحين.

That's my shortlist! There are also some translated into the Arabic from English, but I think it's more enjoyable to read books originally written in Arabic.

Marieke :D

I will try ordering these tomorrow!

message 16: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Lynx Marieke wrote: ":D

I will try ordering these tomorrow!"

If you run into any trouble, let me know. I'm not sure how all Dar el Adab distributes, but Kalimat can find a way to get you Fatima's book. They're like superheroes.