Mandi's Reviews > How We Decide

Sep 15, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: post-peace-corps
Read in September, 2012

I read this book in about a week because, when I first started reading it, I found it to be so interesting that I wanted to read it all right away. However, the more I read, the more I disliked the book. Most of what is mentioned are things that I remember studying in high school psychology class. Still, I did like when the author approached the different studies as a journalist and delivered the details of interesting evidence. What I did not like was when he drew his own conclusions, because I often times did not agree with what he had to say (and at this moment, none of it was even so impressive that it stuck with me enough for me to give an example). I would have preferred a book by a true scientist who provided conclusions, but this author didn't really have any authority for his conclusions, especially considering that they were not necessarily proven by the cases that he showcased.

It was an interesting topic, but the best cases were ones I had already learned about: either from high school (many years ago!) or from an NPR podcast. The book didn't really give me anything more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How We Decide.