Marlan's Reviews > Getting the Girl: A Guide to Private Investigation, Surveillance, and Cookery

Getting the Girl by Susan Juby

Jan 17, 09

Thank God I don't live in the Juby-verse. She has no mercy for her main characters and it's amazing they ever survive with any sense of dignity.

Her books are always funny in what I feel are thoughtful and original ways. Juby has the skills to put her characters in ridiculous positions that would embarass the absolute hell out of me. What I admire is how these situations she creates aren't forced or done in some 'Who's the Boss/Family Ties' sort of way that I find in a lot of teen fiction. Although absurd, the events feel like they're unfolding naturally. That being said, in Getting the Girl, I was kind of suprised to see her go a little too far at times; so it did seem kind of forced after all.

I recommend the 'Alice, I Think' series and her 'Another Kind of Cowboy'. Getting the Girl is good if you need a Juby-fix, but is a bit weak compared to her other work.

Will the teens like it? I think they would, but I don't think this will win the Peach Award. Similar to the 24 Girls, etc book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting the Girl.