Stuart's Reviews > Journey to the Center of the Earth

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne

Sep 15, 12

Read from August 15 to September 15, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 3

Reading with my daughter for her schooling. We have enjoyed discussing the book together.

The story moves along until they reach the Central Sea where it begins to drag. But the ending is very exciting and breath taking. This is my third reading, and I enjoyed it just as much as the previous times. The simple and short chapters move the story with ease. Each stage of the story has its own climax which draws us further into the story.

What I find most interesting with this story line is the convergence of Darwinian evolution and biblical creationism. Writers and readers retained a Judeo-Christian worldview at the time when Darwinian evolution was advancing in culture. It is fascinating that Verne would have no problem writing about a deluge (Noah's flood) and evolutionary epochs, often times in the same chapter. The book is replete with biblical references.

Part of the discussions that we had deal with character traits. At times we connected with each of the characters, as we faced the dangers and troubles with them. Each one of us in whatever community we find ourselves brings fears, strengths, weaknesses, and perspective to the whole. If you were to bring me along with you to the center of the earth, I am afraid you would have choosen a most unworthy companion.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey to the Center of the Earth.