Anne's Reviews > Signora Da Vinci

Apr 05, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-fiction, read2009
Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This book was a huge disappointment. I picked it up because I enjoyed Maxwell's other books (Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn and To the Tower Born) and I also love this period of Italian history - the book is a fictional acct of Leonardo DaVinci's mother. The first half of the book was great, I found the early life of Caterina and the events surrounding Leonardo's birth and early childhood to be fascinating and well-written. When Caterina leaves Vinci to be closer to the now apprenticed Leonardo in Florence, the book was still good - but a couple things were a trifle too convenient (Caterina's father just *happened* to own house in Florence, and it just *happened* to be an Apothecary) but given how good the book had been up to that point I was willing to suspend my disbelief. Then about halfway through the book hit the skids - hash brownies, alchemy, trippy sex with Lorenzo d'Medici and a conspiracy involving the Shroud of Turin - it was just so bizzare and I got the feeling Maxwell was writing some other book in her head. Anyway, the ending was completely underwhelming to say the least - it was a chore to finish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Signora Da Vinci.

03/31/2009 page 187